, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The Wichita Thunder have not had much luck in overtime and shootouts this season. Matter of fact they’ve had no luck at all in the shootouts until last night. Prior to last night the Thunder have gone to four shootouts this season and lost all of them — three to the Tulsa Oilers and one to Rapid City. So far, the Thunder’s only OT and SO wins have been against the Allen Americans, the top ranked team in the Central Division, and Wichita has won their last three games against Allen (3-2-0-0). Not a bad record for a team who has struggled mightily in anything beyond regulation play.

The Thunder came out strong against Allen in the 1st period however it was Allen’s Tyler Ludwig who scored first at 3:30 with a quick shot over the shoulder of Thunder’s Tim Boron.  Wichita’s Ian Lowe tied the game at 14:42 on a powerplay, assisted by Kenton Miller and Ian Duval. Shots on goal for the 1st were 15-6 for Wichita.

At 12:45 into the 2nd period, Danick Gauthier put the Thunder in the lead 2-1 with a shot under the blocker of the Allen’s Aaron Dell. Shots on goal for the 2nd were 11-8 for Wichita.

With the lead coming into the 3rd Wichita settled into primarily defensive tactics and they were successful until 8:38 when Jamie Schaafsma tied the score on a powerplay sending the game into overtime. Shots on goal for the 3rd were 9-3 for Allen. Overtime was much like the third, with Allen outshooting Wichita 4-2.

Shootout — Tulsa – Wichita shooting order:

  1. Steffes GOAL – Kashirsky GOAL
  2. Costello no goal – Lowe no goal
  3. Combs no goal – Gauthier no goal
  4. Ludwig no goal – Flath GOAL
  5. Schaafsma no goal –

Thunder’s Tim Boron stopped Allen’s Schaafsma on the 5th round, while Nikita Kashirsky and RG Flath scored for the Thunder earning Wichita’s first shootout win of the season which was met by loud cheers from Wichita fans at the Intrust Arena.

The shootout win was an outstanding way to begin the team’s post holiday return, particularly since the team was without their Captain, Theo Peckham. As coach McClelland told Jason Mals in the pregame interview, Peckham had informed the team that he was joining a Slovakian team after receiving an offer he simply couldn’t refuse.  The Thunder will retain Peckham’s rights for the remainder of the season as indicated by the team’s “suspension” in yesterday’s ECHL transactions.

Per Team Time Goals
1st ALN 3:30 T. Ludwig (assists R. Schwartz, K. Young)
1st WIC 14:42 I. Lowe (assists K. Miller, I. Duval) — PP
2nd WIC 12:45 D. Gauthier
3rd ALN 8:38 J. Schaafsma (assists G. Steffes, T. Ludwig) — PP

The Wichita Thunder next face the Missouri Mavericks in back-to-back games, the first on Tuesday, December 30th at 7:05 p.m. in Wichita. The Thunder then travel to Independence for a New Year’s Eve game, on December 31st at 7:05 p.m.