So long, farewell
Auf Wiedersehen, adieu
To you and you and you
Since early June we have witnessed one OKC Barons player after another depart, and while it hurts something fierce to see them go, they are bound for greener pastures. As Neal Livingston at Tend the Farm always says “farming the Oilers ain’t easy.” To be honest, I’m still mourning the previous season’s departures as well, but along the way I have picked up a few new teams, and experienced new adventures on my ever expanding hockey road trips.
As AHL fans we grow attached to these young boys who are honing their craft on the farm, and to the veterans who guide and teach them along the way. At the end of each season we see a natural turnover of players, but this postseason — the end of OKC’s third season — has been a sad and painful one.
Kristiāns Pelšs will always remain in our hearts and memories as a wonderfully nice, funny young man with a feisty spirit on the ice. Stick taps to you, Kristiāns.
In all, twenty-one players who were part of the 2012-13 OKC Barons roster are now gone, or are unlikely to return to the team. Twenty-one. For those who have moved on to other teams, or who are still in that process, we wish you all the best and no matter where, how far, or even how close, we will be cheering for you. Yes, even you, Phil Cornet, newly signed with the San Antonio Rampage — our crafty, wiley rivals to the south in Texas. *Stick taps*
- Philippe Cornet (August 7 to San Antonio Rampage; July 2 – UFA)
- Nathan Deck (August 2 to Stockton Thunder ECHL)
- Alex Plante (July 18 to Dornbirner EC EBEL)
- Magnus Paajarvi (July 10 traded to St. Louis Blues)
- Jonathan Cheechoo (July 9 to Medveščak Zagreb KHL)
- Yann Danis (July 5 to Philadelphia Flyers)
- Colten Teubert (July 2 – UFA)
- Andrew Hotham (June 23 to Düsseldorf EG)
- Dan Ringwald (June 19 to EC Bad Nauheim)
- Garrett Stafford (June 12 to Färjestad-Elitserien)
- Teemu Hartikainen (June 10 to Salavat Yulaev KHL)
- Antti Tyrvainan (June 6 to Jokerit-SM-liiga)
- Niko Hovinen (May 9 to Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL)
- Josh Green
- Darcy Hordichuk
- Tanner House
- Eric Hunter
- Chris VandeVelde
- Randy Jones
- Teigan Zahn
Departed Midseason: this group has not been included in the list of 21 however, they were part of the OKC Barons roster for a short time this past season as well.
- Dane Byers (traded to Hershey/Capitals)
- Brett Clark (signed with Minnesota Wild)
- Jordan Henry (AHL PTO)
- Kane Lafranchise (AHL PTO)
Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow,
Till you find your dream.